Thursday, May 3, 2012

6th Grade Fluency Drills


Free 6th Grade Fluency Drills

Have your students create their own grade level Fluency Drills from public domain books, or use grade level released test (State Standardized Assessments) as fluency drill test prep. I use great public domain books to create 20-30 new fluency drills every year for my students. Students are also encouraged to find great literature and passages to make their own fluency drills.

The new movie John Cater has students excited about science fiction adventures, and is a great place to find inspiration from the original story Princess of Mars. 

Example of Free 6th Grade Fluency Drill 

Edgar Rice Burroughs
John Carter My Advent on Mars
RL 6.2 Lexile 800-900

I opened my eyes upon a strange and weird landscape.
I knew that I was on Mars; not once did I question eiher
my sanity or my wakefulness. I was not asleep, no need
for pinching here; my inner consciousness told me as plainly
that I was upon Mars as your conscious mind tells you that
you are upon Earth. You do not question the fact; neither did I.
WCPM 69

I found myself lying prone upon a bed of yellowish, moss-like
vegetation which stretched around me in all directions for
interminable miles. I seemed to be lying in a deep, circular
basin, along the outer verge of which I could distinguish
the irregularities of low hills. WCPM 117

It was midday, the sun was shining full upon me and the
heat of it was rather intense upon my naked body, yet no
greater than would have been true under similar conditions
on an Arizona desert. Here and there were slight outcroppings
of quartz-bearing rock which glistened in the sunlight; and a
little to my left, perhaps a hundred yards, appeared a low,
walled enclosure about four feet in height. No water, and no other
vegetation than the moss was in evidence, and as I was
somewhat thirsty I determined to do a little exploring. WCPM 215

Springing to my feet I received my first Martian surprise,
for the effort, which on Earth would have brought me
standing upright, carried me into the Martian air to the height
of about three yards. I alighted softly upon the ground, however,
without appreciable shock or jar. Now commenced a series of
evolutions which even then seemed ludicrous in the extreme.
I found that I must learn to walk all over again, as the muscular
exertion which carried me easily and safely upon Earth played
strange antics with me upon Mars. WCPM 305

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!