Common Core Aligned Question Stems Grade 4, 5, 6 and 7
Common Core Question Stems | Higher Order Thinking Questions | Plot, Theme, Inference, Compare and Contrast, and Poetry
- What connections can me made between the visual presentation (illustrations) of … and the text of the story?
- Can you identify how the pictures of … relate specifically to imagery vocabulary?
- Explain the selfish, mean, odd behavior of … and make inferences regarding the reason they demonstrate these emotions and or actions.
- Describe how the narrator’s point of view in … are described and how the reader perceives the character of …
- Summarize the plot of …and then reflect on the challenges facing the characters in the story.
- Discuss and explore the theme of the story as it relates to plot.
- Describe in depth the idyllic, treacherous, sparse or unrealistic setting of the story, drawing on specific details in the text.
- Compare and contrast … and … by identifying similar themes and plots, examining the stories’ approach to the topic of ….
- Refer to the elements of poetry (e.g., simile, metaphor, symbolism, imagery, verse, rhythm, meter) of … when analyzing a poem and contrasting the impact and differences of those elements to a prose summary of the poem.
- Determine the meaning of the metaphor of … and contrast that figurative language to the meaning of the simile in …